Friday, January 1, 2016

Review #1: Sushi Kawa


Sushi Kawa advertises itself as "Full Bar Asian Fusion" - they serve all manner of Japanese and Chinese foods, with a few Thai dishes thrown in. It's also right down the street from our current residence, but we felt like staying in. Luckily they offer delivery, although it must be a minimum of $28, and only for the immediate Groton area.

This time, I couldn't help but go with my traditional favorite, the chirashi-don! My visiting mother picked out Seafood TomYum soup, and my husband ordered some chicken lo mein. My mother and I also sampled some blue crab avocado dumplings from the sushi appetizer list.

The small delivery box for my sushi was similar to how you might pick up supermarket sushi - attractively displayed, bento-box style. It was delivered to us - quite quickly, too - in a separate bag from the hot foods. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting anything very fancy with delivery, but I was pleasantly surprised at the beautiful arrangement!

I sampled some of the dumpling my mother & I had ordered first - there was a tad bit of spice and
breading to the crab at the center of the avocado, so it was rather like a cool avocado crabcake. Very delicious, and a worthy appetizer, since one dumpling  was enough to fill the palm of my hand!

Mom's soup was very flavorful, and full of so many seafood goodies! Mom was nursing a cold at the time, so hot soup was her saving grace. I stole a bit of scallop from her for good measure.

The sushi in my chirashi-don was cool and refreshing and flavorful - just the way I like it! At first I was surprised that they also included octopus, but then I remembered just how close we are to the coast. Interestingly, the octopus sushi was sandwiched between thin slices of lemon, and upon trying it, I found the lemon had enhanced the flavor greatly! It was fresh enough that the texture wasn't overly chewy, too - it was the first time in a long time that I'd enjoyed octopus so much! The restaurant also included tamago sashimi - it was a tasty and welcome addition to the other sashimi available.

I was so sad when I took the last bite of my meal - it was one of those dinners that you wanted to go on savoring, no matter how full you got. My mouth still waters thinking about it, even though it was less than a week ago. I'm very interested to go and visit the restaurant itself now - and I'll be sure to review something new and tasty then, as well!

Sushi Kawa
507 Gold Star Highway (Rout 184)
Groton, CT 06340
(860) 448-0465

No comments:

Post a Comment